Old 07-12-18, 09:42 PM
queenoscots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58, VERY short lady, getting fit and needing advice

Hello! Here's my story: I turn 58 tomorrow, and after years of being overweight and out of shape, I'm making changes. Through diet and exercise, I've lost 87 lbs. and still losing. My fitness routine currently involves eating light and healthy, swimming 60 lengths of the YMCA pool three times per week, and walking frequently--trying to get in those recommended 10,000 steps at least on the days I don't swim. I'm looking to add biking, but I've found it's not as easy as just picking up a bike and taking it for a spin. In the 90's, my husband, our kids, and I all had mountain bikes; mine was a serviceable Schwinn that got used frequently and brought me enjoyment. But we all drifted away from riding, and my bike spent the last 15 years gathering dust in the garage. When I tried to ride it recently, I found the bike and I were no longer a good fit. Mounting and dismounting are extremely difficult due to my bad hip and arthritic knees. Once on the bike, I can ride. But I have to lay the bike down almost on its side to mount/dismount. I actually fell trying to dismount quickly the other day. I simply couldn't lift my leg high enough to swing it over the seat, or even the crossbar, like I could at a younger age. So now I'm looking for recommendations , and here are the particulars:

- age 58

- still overweight, but improving the situation with 87 lbs lost so far

- arthritis in both knees, bursitis in one hip

- swimming and walking are my main activities, but would like to add biking

-very short, only 4' 11.5" tall

- not interested in trail or mountain riding; just want a nice cruiser for riding around the neighborhood

I've visited several bike shops, where they've recommended the Electra Townie Ladies cruiser. Other recommendations have been for the Schwinn Perla or the Biria Low Step Easy Boarder. But every bike I try seems too tall at 26". I'm not even sure a 24" will suit me. BTW, my previous bike was a 26", and in my younger days I was flexible enough to mount and dismount it.

Are there any other short people out there riding? Any tips on fit? Maybe a large child's bike? Can anyone suggest a brand you've had success with?

Thanks, all!