View Single Post
Old 07-12-18, 09:55 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him
I'm really looking forward to touring …. I had pretty much given up on my dreams of touring. Although I was seriously considering on buying a low-mileage min-van when I take out my final retirement in 2-3 years, but then as I was planning my trips with the min-van, I realized that I would still be traveling somedays only 10-20 miles, and when I calculated the costs of owning and operating a mini-van for 10 years ….. the costs would be around $80,000.00 !!! I decided to take out part of my retirement and invest in an electric bicycle, which will only cost me total for the first 10 years, around $15,000.00, possibly a little more, depending on how long the batteries last.

So, now I can do some serious touring several times a year, at a fraction of the cost compared with driving a car/mini-van. And even though I have serious health issues with my feet and back, I will still be able to do some low-impact and short hiking, since the eBike will give me feet a much-needed rest.
Sounds like youve put a lot of thought into, and adapted a solution to fit your situation and needs. I think thats great and I wish you nothing but succesful, memorable and safe journeys on that purpose-built machine.