Old 07-13-18, 07:34 AM
motosman1

Bikes: GT Rebound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTB C&V bike to ride...your opinions, please.

Hello all, newbie here. I am looking for an older bike to ride in my 'hood and community for fitness and relaxation. I am a mechanical/technical geek and understand the value of quality materials, weights, rolling resistance, etc... I want an older bike because I don't want a "cookie cutter" new bike. I'm not looking to be accepted by the masses. I want something that one doesn't see every day. Although, I am thrifty and value a "smokin' deal" as much as the next miser. Because it has been decades since I rode a bicycle (been riding motorcycles for 40+ yrs), I don't want to wrap up $ in a collector's bike only to realize I like working on bikes more than riding them. So, that being said...

I became really intrigued with a Bridgestone/Kabuki Hilltopper on my local Craigslist. Listed as ready to ride for $75. Pictures tell me it needs tires and lubrication as well as overall cleanup, but it is complete. Looks like it has been stored inside, hopefully. Listed as 1970's era, it does have the Bridgestone name on the Kabuki headbadge. Orange in color with chrome lower half of fork. It looks like chrome steel wheels. High Ten decal on fork indicates a high tensile steel frame, correct? I'm curious as to what it weighs.

Also, spotted a Schwinn Collegiate 10 speed with "ram's horn"(?) bars on CL. Looks to be complete but has been sitting outside, who knows how long. Plus, it is only available as one of a group of 7 bikes that need to be "hauled away", along with a Puegot (sp?) cruiser style bike and the rest appearing to be "big box store" BMX bikes (junk), all for $100. I have a romance with Schwinn, stemming from a childhood where myself, and most my friends and foes, rode bikes from Monkey Wards, Western Auto, Huffy and such while the "rich kid" in the 'hood had a Pea Picker that we all lusted over. In my kid's mind of the '60's and early '70's, Schwinn was the Crème de la Crème! After a little reading last night I've come away with the feeling that the late '70's-'80's
Collegiate was just a heavy turd in racer disguise.

So, I pose to all with more knowledge and passion for the C&V bikes, based on the info above what is the opinion of the Kabuki vs. Collegiate and what would be a few other bikes to look for as my maiden voyage into the sea of C&V riders. I am looking for a road bike and I'm sure that as I get more confident with the bike and my level of fitness I will push both. So, I believe I want a lighter bike (as opposed to heavy) that is comfortable yet durable and relatively easy to get parts for, even if they are not brand or period correct parts. I'm thinking I want a 27 incher, the collegiate is 26" wheels. I have seen the names Masi, Puegot, Fuji, Panasonic, Miyata(?) and so on. I did see someone stated that the Japanese bikes were the smarter choice due to their standardized measuring systems and parts adaptability. I want to continue my research and also determine what size frame best suits me, but while doing that I do desire the "Cliff's Notes" from you guys to help me in my search. I am really smitten with the Hilltopper but it seems to be less desirable due to weight and steel wheels. I am competent enough purchase aluminum rims and lace/true to the original hubs but is that pushing the investment cost beyond the value of the bike if/when I decide to sell it and upgrade to another bike.
Thanks for any and all advice, opinions, facts and reference material in advance!