View Single Post
Old 07-14-18, 06:17 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
A much better solution to your stated problems would be to find a cheap, used Surly LHT 26" frameset in the right size, some go as little as $200 on eBay. Smaller-wheeled bikes fit smaller people better.
I've looked at the LHT and honestly am not too impressed. If you look at the geometry and specs of the LHT, its basically an early 90's hardtail MTB. May as well start with those which are much more ubiquitous (and cheaper). But, the top tube geometry of those is much too long for me when combined with drop bars (and yes, my wrists much prefer drop bars over everything else including flat bars, butterfly bars, Jones H-bar, and other high sweep bars). I've done drop bar conversions on early 90s MTB before. The frame does nothing to fix the crank length and subsequent gearing problem.

I don't disagree that a smaller frame is easier to achieve with a smaller tire, but I have no issues with my frame(s), 700c tires and my shortened cranks either. The biggest problem that I see from a complete bike selection is that the OEMs don't scale the cranks appropriately for the frame and that's when you start having the top overlap issue. Fixing the toe overlap issue with a smaller wheel does nothing for making a more comfortable and efficient pedal stroke.