Old 07-15-18, 11:41 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d View Post
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

Try not to take anything too personally. I think there is some of that going on.

Cheers.

I have done some further testing. I have security skewers, so I am able to more easily adjust the clamping force by simply wrenching it down harder. What I did was loosen the cones out to make them sloppy. I then cranked the skewers down hard, and I did notice a difference in the play (amount of wiggle). So there is some merit to the conventional advice. However, since I am working with cheap steel cones, steel bearings, and steel axles, I don't think the difference is too important. I think that if you have lighter more expensive components, it would probably be more important because they might be more delicate/sensitive.

On a personal note, the 5 post per day restriction for new accounts is very frustrating.

Once again, thanks for all the replies.
Expensive hubs also have steel cones, axles and bearings. All of them need QR compression accounted for.

If your wheel didn't, it probably would mean your QR isn't being tightened sufficiently for safe wheel retention.