Old 07-17-18, 07:53 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Legal in Maryland? Probably not.

Would anyone care as long as you do it safely? Probably not. But that depends on how busy the crosswalk is. If it's full of people, it's a bad idea. If it's always empty, no one will care. I agree that slowing down is traffic is a bad idea. If you have to veer into the crosswalk to slow down for 10 feet AND NO PEDESTRIANS ARE IN IT, it's probably safe.

I'm in Maryland and I have an almost identical situation on my commute. It's in a populated area, but one that has almost zero foot traffic. I have a right turn to make just like you. And like you I don't want to slow down in traffic to make the right turn into the path. What I do is overshoot the path and make a quick turnaround. At speed on the road going from left to right (per your diagram) I stay at speed and dart off to the right to get on the sidewalk/path area you have marked grey and blue on the lower right of the intersection. But I don't try to make the turn onto the blue. I hit the brakes when I get to the grey and overshoot it a little into the dirt (on my route the dirt is actually a big paved area, but whatever). Then I stop and turn slowly to aim myself back onto the blue.
First, if it's not legal then I'm not doing it.

Second, the issue is getting onto that little bit of gray, not transitioning from gray to blue. The two choices for getting onto the little bit of gray is get into the painted crosswalk at the last second and ride straight onto it, or stay on the road and just past the intersection manage to turn right onto the wheelchair dip from the road.