Old 07-19-18, 09:27 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunnytadpole
Regarding brakes-i am likely going to stick to the standard v- keep things simpler. I plan on learning to do my own maintenance every now and then for when those out of the blue moments happen while out.
Lots of different racks to choose from is a good thing.
I've been reading more on the Specialized crossroads and I'm leaning more towards that over the Trek. I'm not sure I know the real difference between the regular and the sport models. So I need to see those side by side to figure that out. I am wondering also about the pedals-they're a composite. Should I swap those for metal?
Should I opt for airless tires or get the tubes?
If you can afford discs, get discs. Hydraulic disc brakes are pretty bomb proof and relatively maintenance free for most people. They work better in crappy conditions. They are not a maintenance nightmare by any means. Pads last fro 1,000 - 3,000 miles (or more, depending on use) and are easy to replace. And hydraulic disc brakes are self adjusting. No tweaking cables. Mechanical disc brakes have the same stopping power but need more adjusting. Personally I hate working with v brakes. Just a pain in the rump to me (most bike mechanics will disagree that they are difficult, but they drive me bonkers and I'd rather adjust a disc any day. Different strokes for different folks)

As far as pedals, the ones it comes will are fine until they break. I cracked one after about 200 miles when I tried to hop off a curb and missed....pedal went into the curb and cracked it. Even then it was still ridable. I'd say don't bother buying new ones until you either brake the ones it comes with or decide you want something specific. (Clipless, pins, toe straps, etc) There are 900 threads around here about pedals with all kinds of suggestions.

Nice thing about plastic pedals is that when you scuff one (and you will) it's usually not noticeable because the color is the same through the plastic. When you scuff a painted metal pedal, you scrape the paint off and expose bare metal that is obviously a scuff.

Keep the inner tubes. You say you want simple maintenance? Keep the inner tubes. The design of an inner tube tire and wheel hasn't changed much in about 100 years for a reason. Tubeless is slightly lighter, which is it's big advantage (if you're racing) but has a host of other issues that can make is more complex for a novice.