View Single Post
Old 07-19-18, 05:55 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8069 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Since it has, in fact, proven itself to be a nuisance, it is appropriate that it be regulated. I don't want my yard being used as a drop off point, I don't want people riding unsafe bikes and I don't want the state to have to pay for cleanup if people abandon the bikes all over the place.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/
I'm familiar with the problems, but something doesn't add up. There have been docked bike-shared for quite a while now. Why haven't those bikes been vandalized so badly? What is it about the dock that prevents users from trashing them? It seems more like some kind of protest that people would be vandalizing these bikes, and the regulatory hurdles they are saddled with seems like it could be related. I don't want to call conspiracy, because that only generates anti-conspiracy ridicule, but something just doesn't add up.

But given all this, do you think the problems will be ironed out and everyone will have access to dockless bike sharing in a few years, or do you think it's going to boil down to docking locations having to be negotiated with property owners, codes, zoning, etc.? I can imagine that we're going to have to go through the same kind of things we've been through with all the other sharing companies, such as Uber and Airbnb, where the industries that perceive them as a threat look for every means possible to stop and/or discredit them. It amazes me how people are always talking about the free market, but yet it's so difficult for a product to simply be made available to the public and used.

So do you think the glitches will be ironed out, how long do you think it will take, and what will the end result look like, iyo?