Old 07-21-18, 07:04 AM
Chriscraft760 

Bikes: Trek TX700 and 720

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 20 Posts
Original 1977 Trek TX304

I’ve been wanting an early Trek TX700 frame bike but haven’t found one close enough in my size. This 22.5” TX304 was listed in the Appleton area and after seeing what condition it was in, just couldn’t pass it up. This low end Trek built complete bike will have to do for now.
Seller said it was purchased new in 1977 by her late husband. That in 1977, Trek bikes were the new Wisconsin built bikes and they purchased it from Janis Cycles in Appleton as they were a Trek Dealer and were the only ones selling Trek bikes back then.

It’s been hanging unused in her basement for the last 30 years. She was cleaning out her basement recently and had the bike in the throw away pile when her daughter said the old Trek was probably worth something.
They took the bike to a local shop that appraised it at $500-$600.
She list it locally and after some negotiation I made the drive to pick it up. Had it been a TX700, maybe it would be worth the appraisal, but it’s a Hi-ten frame.

She was pretty firm that this was a fully built original Trek bike. She mentioned they had replaced the seat but all the parts were original. I searched vintage-trek and was able to match the components with the 1977 catalogue model TX304. These early 1977 complete bikes were only sold in the mid-west.