Old 07-22-18, 10:29 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by maletero
There are a lot of threads on here about about weight limits, frame materials, spoke count, etc. Usually a few (or more!) awesome forum members chime in with their experiences with different equipment at different weights. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread that would serve as a sort of clearinghouse for information about what kinds of bikes people are riding and at what weights. I know I'd find it interesting to see the breadth of equipment and experience on here.

I'll go first:

I'm riding my one and only road bike (so far!) a 2002 Specialized Allez Elite Al frame. I busted some spokes on the stock tires when I was young and 225 pounds. No now am riding on a set of 28 spoke (will check and confirm) wheels at around 255-260 with no problems (except that I can't get back down to 225).
IF? You should try it and see how it goes. It was a challenge at first (the body thinks its starving), but once you're over the hump, its as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings.

Never popped a spoke on my old Trek, but my only problem was my rear wheel would constantly go out of true. Once the weight was down those issues become a thing of the past. Presently at 193 down from 249.