Old 07-24-18, 10:42 PM
atxdmd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Let me make sure I understand correctly...

You're going to replace every component on the bike, so that when you're done you will have spent more money than a new complete Kilo TT would cost. Then, you'll still have an inferior bike, because the frame (the most important part) will still be the cheap Dawes. Am I missing anything? You will indeed gain some wrenching experience, something that can be gained many other ways that don't cost hundreds of dollars. It's your money, though, so feel free to go for it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell the Dawes, buy a Kilo, and gain experience by volunteering at a bike co-op. If that's not feasible where you live, just take your bike apart. Piece by piece, clean, measure, study, and inspect everything, and then reassemble it. BOOM! Zero unnecessary spending, and you still get to learn.

Well, I was going to replace the frame too. Buy used, and sell the parts of my old bike. You may be right. I was going to itemize it and price it out and make sure it was manageable. I'll definitely take your advise and take your advise and take my bike apart. I don't think I'll sell my bike, but I would like to upgrade it a bit. So if the kilo TT pro idea is that bad financially, what parts from my current bike would you say could most benefit from upgrades? Doesn't have to be parts from the kilo.