Old 07-26-18, 10:02 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Little story: I was in a bicycle transportation planning meeting (not in Houston), gee, has it been almost 40 years ago? Anyway, one of the cats there was proposing - demanding - segregated cycling infrastructure. I suggested that maybe cyclists could use the roads that exist by learning how to ride them safely. This other attendee turned on me and yelled that I must be crazy. In the time since, he's campaigned at the local, state and national level and some 30 miles of segregated cycling infrastructure has been built in a city of 1 million population, and I've ridded tens of thousands of accident free mile on city streets.

Originally Posted by RobM1984
Am I missing something?
Yep.

So anyway, different roadway designs are optimized for different types of transportation. Major thoroughfares are optimized to carry large volumes of traffic at higher speeds. The Katy Freeway has been optimized to sell psychotropic pharmaceuticals. And residential streets are optimized to carry small volumes of traffic at relatively low speeds.

Score: Inner-loop Houston has lots of residential streets that actually go somewhere other than dead ending into the closest thoroughfare. Add in a couple of bike bridges and recreational paths - and knowing how to ride - and Houston's your oyster.

Of course I don't know your exact starting and ending addresses, but take a look at this route and see what you think.