Old 07-27-18, 09:06 AM
duffetta 

Bikes: 2021 Giant Revolt Advanced Pro 1, 2019 AllCity Macho Man commuter, 2015 Fuji Gran Fondo Shimano 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squeaky and ineffective hydraulic disc brakes

Long story short, I just replaced the rotor and the pads on my Shimano BR-M447 hydraulic front brake. It worked great (quiet and full stopping power) for two rides (I commute daily 6 miles each way). This morning, after riding home in a rain storm yesterday, the front brake is again very noisy and has lost its stopping power. What's going on here?

Longer story: I had worn my pads down to nothing recently, so I stopped in to my local bike store who sold me Jaguar pads. I believe that they were resin, but I can't be certain. I replaced the pads, and went on my way. Both brakes, about 2 days in on the new pads, starting making horrible squeaking noise and lost their stopping power. I tried cleaning the discs with isopropanol, with no affect. At that point, I decided to just get brand new Shimano rotors and matching pads. I had time to do the front the other night. For those results, see above.

What is going on here? Why do the brakes become ineffective after two rides?

Thanks,
Mark
--
2017 BMC AlpenChallenge AC02 Alfine 8 (with Gates drive)
2015 Fuji Gran Fondo w/Shimano 105 (11 speed)