View Single Post
Old 07-29-18, 10:35 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
A waxed chain perfectly complements Compass tires, and as an added benefit, will help keep your sidewalls clean.

HTFU and melt some paraffin. You can thank us later.

I do want to quibble, and am only one of several resident chemists. (It seems we seldom agree on anything.) I do have a couple of chain saws, and the chains do spray oil, which is in fact how you check to make sure they are getting lubricated while the saw is running. I would never ever put that stuff on my bike.

Regardless of what lubricant you choose to use, please remember to clean your chain first with a non-aqueous solvent to get the crappy oil (rust protectant) it comes packaged in off. I find white gas (petro) works better than mineral spirits, but you probably don't want to smoke too heavily while doing it that way. The good thing is it evaporates eventually after you toss the used stuff over the fence when your neighbor isn't looking. Then dry the chain out and toss it into a mini crock pot in which you have melted your paraffin, let it soak for a half hour, stirring it occasionally, and then pull it out and Bob's your uncle. (Alternatively, use Squirt! I do this a couple of weeks after the initial waxing so I don't have to remove the chain to renew the lubrication.) But melted paraffin is really clean, and very cheap, so you can DIY and really stick it to The Man!

According to the Amazon reviews I read for blocks of paraffin, it is also very popular with the BD/SM community, so if you are into that, I guess it gives you something to do with the used melted wax after you dip your chain into it, so to speak.

Another helpful user's tip: Don't google "Squirt!"

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 07-29-18 at 10:53 PM.