Old 07-30-18, 06:02 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Truthfully how kids get to and from school has little to do with them living car free or how they prefer to travel. It has to do with what the school district and the parents dictate. Where I live the principle has total discretion on allowing cycling to school. Because bicycle storage and safety come out of the school budget they have removed the bicycle corals in most of our schools. The parents can send the kids to school on a bus or in some cases let them walk. However once Megan's law passed and the information on predators became available on phone apps the journey to and from school became what looked like a pervert minefield for kids. Then they started to charge $300.00 to $600.00 a year to ride the school bus. Parents started to do the same thing they did with soccer games and parents started dropping off and picking up kids. Does the term Helicopter parent sound familiar?

If 80 to 90 percent of the parents have cars chances are 80 to 90 percent of the kids will be delivered door to door unless they take the bus. In my neighborhood kids still walk if they live within about a half mile. Much farther than that and they catch a ride. The kids aren't given a choice, it doesn't matter what they might want or prefer and even if they could ride a bike it wouldn't be there long when they got ready to ride home. And like I said the principle can prohibit the riding of bikes to their school.
I'm surprised no school has gotten sued and/or fires yet if they're prohibiting biking to school. It is a traditional option for kids to ride their bikes to school.