View Single Post
Old 07-31-18, 05:08 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PFN10

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
The only c&v bikes I have ridden since I was a kid are a Kuwahara tandem a Centurion Lemans 12 and a 89 Ironman Expert. I was just wondering how those of you have got to ride lots of classic bikes think the Japanese bikes are against the high end bikes from Europe.
Calling @RobbieTunes ...

It's probably an over-generalization (Is that redundant?) to say better or worse, but during the 80's the Japanese bikes raised production quality to a very high standard while keeping prices down. Some very good bikes came out of Japan. But the larger European companies' production capacity had been pushed to limits by the 70's bike boom so one might conclude their quality was lower. Even so, some very good bikes came out of Europe too.

My Centurion Ironman (and yours too, most likely) carries a sticker saying something like designed in the US, built with quality in Japan. Not all Japanese bikes were high-end, just as not all European bikes were.

Last edited by jimmuller; 08-03-18 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Grammar? What grammar?