Old 08-01-18, 03:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Black Bibs brand bibs. They're just as good as described by the maker and by customers. No frills, comfy, good stitching and material, an outstanding value at $40.

Main reason I wanted to try bibs is because after losing some weight my regular shorts will sometimes sag a bit and snag the nose of my saddle as I sit after standing to pedal. Annoying at times, especially starting from a short traffic light. I already have trouble enough fumbling to clip in, let alone having to worry about my shorts snagging.

Rode the Black Bibs twice now, for an hour and again for two hours. No complaints. The fabric and padding seem to handle the usual sweaty task just fine.

No snagging my saddle nose. That's a relief.

The pad is much thicker and denser than anything I've used before. I usually prefer the much thinner AeroTech Pro shorts liner which compacts down to a feel comparable to old style leather chamois. I also have some 3D sculpted padded liner shorts from Baleef and Pearl Izumi but usually wear those only on the indoor trainer -- they're thicker and denser than the thin, low loft AeroTech Pro pad. But the Black Bibs pad was just fine, despite feeling odd at first. We'll see how it goes on longer rides. (FWIW, my road bike saddle is a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio -- the minimal firm padding is comparable to a typical Fizik saddle.)

No silicone/rubber gripper on the thigh hem. Doesn't seem to need it, even with my bird-thin thighs.

I got the medium. At 5'11" and 160 lbs, they're not quite as tight as I'd expected. The Black Bibs folks describe these as having some compression. I was expecting a lot more compression, but these are just typically snug and feel fine. If I lose any more weight I might even need the small size. But I have bird legs -- most of my weight is above the waistline. For most folks my height and weight with more proportionate build, the medium should be fine.