View Single Post
Old 08-05-18, 07:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi, MrsIncredible73. Welcome to the sport and the forum!

As an experienced road rider your current rig probably isn't the first bike you started on. You may have gone through several before you settled on what works for you based on research and trial and error.

That'll definitely happen with your track bike. Your first bike will not be your favorite. Your favorite bike will not be your favorite. It's a journey. The good thing is that track equipment isn't as expensive as comparable road, CX, or MTB.

There are several threads on the first 2-3 pages of this forum that cover 99% of what you'll need to know.

Take note of what components (not frames) the top riders use. Cranks, chainrings, chains, pedals, bars...this will go on on any frame you choose. So, go ahead and splurge in these areas. I'd suggest starting with 165mm cranks until a coach puts you on something longer (trust me...long story...doesn't matter how tall you are).

Fit is more important that materials. I assume that you are a woman based on your name and handle. If you are, then it's safe to assume that you aren't 250lbs and making 2,500W. So, having an Olympic caliber frame capable of handling such might be overkill (for you and your budget). You need a frame that's strong enough for you not strong enough for anyone. There are great options in steel, aluminum, and carbon.

I've seen new racers spend $3000 on a top carbon frame that doesn't fit them...when they would literally be faster on a steel frame that fit. But...guess what they felt obligated to ride every week? Yup, the more expensive frame that hindered their performance. Hell, I've been that person with my LOOK 496.

Focus on geometry and components. That's where the magic happens.