Old 08-05-18, 10:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6090 Post(s)
Liked 3,240 Times in 1,870 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
having done a single day on various rides I would not likely do this tour....way to many people and sometimes dangerous.

The number of deaths/accidents on this ride over the years is astounding to me. With over 10,000 riders annually it is a pretty crazy event.
its 10000-20000 riders per day, depending on location. Days where the ride passes close to or thru larger towns will have more participants.

I train with 30-40 teens for the 5 months leading up to RAGBRAI and almost all of them have over 1000mi ridden before crossing the state.

I view RAGBRAI as something where you get out of it what you want.
you call it dangerous, yet i enjoy every day of the ride, even with the responsibility of ensuring kids make it safely from one town to the next.

some view it as a weeklong drink fest. Some view it as a personal challenge. Some view it right between thpse two things.
its what you want to make of it.

don't want to wait for a bathroom line?...hit up a cornfield.
food lines, besides a couple specific vendors, are rarely more than a few minutes long.
don't want to drink? Then dont.

I chuckle when I read that RAGBRAI is dangerous. Kids ride it safely, but it's dangerous. Ok then.

I do understand not enjoying big crowds. Phobia is a legit reason to not ride. Typically thpugh, the crowds only exist in each town. Riding is usually spread out to where you can move predictably freely.