View Single Post
Old 08-06-18, 12:21 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am new to this forum. I did a search on the type bike I am “rebuilding” and found this thread. Do not want to hijack the thread but I am looking for someone working on the same bike.

I am in the process of moving to the North Georgia mountains. I bought my Focus Mares as I wanted to ride gravel roads in the area and thought I might want to try racing. Is there an over 65 group?

I am getting aquainted with the “paved gravel” roads in the community I live in. Gravel on the roads gets thick, especially in the tight turns and at the bottom of steep hills. The Focus bike I have has a Shimano 105 46/36 front, 11/28 rear. I have been riding my Rocky Mountain Sherpa MTB with a Shram 1x11 32 front, 10/42 rear because I can not get up the hills on the Mares.

I just ordered parts to convert the Mares to the new Eagle GX 1x12 group set. I ordered a GX Eagle crankset with 700mm cranks and 32t chain ring, GX Eagle derailleur, GX Eagle grip shifters, GX brake levers, GX eagle chain. Yes, I know the grip shifters will need a “flat” bar, which I am planing on.

The roads I will be riding on often have large steep drop offs on either side I am about to turn 69, bruise easy and recover a little more slowly. I do enjoy riding the community gravel/paved roads though. I will be more comfortable with a flat Riser handlebar and flat pedals, (ordered).

I think I need three more items: DUB bottom bracket, XD rear driver, Riser handlebar. Anything else I need? Not sure what size handlebars? Are most drop bars 31.8?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-06-18 at 12:29 AM.