View Single Post
Old 08-07-18, 12:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
People living in mud huts in the U.S. think so; as well as most people residing on the street, or in homeless shelters and hobo camps. Even if they feel blessed with a car free/car-lite halo and ride a bicycle. You might be an exception.
I know several persons who are full or part time homeless on purpose in the US. Mostly during milder months. They get a government check every month due to mental illness and make it last by camping out around town. They hang out in coffee shops, librarys, parks, malls all day. They get free healthcare. Most use bicycles as transport and local bike shops do what they can to keep them mobile. Not one of them has told me they wished it otherwise. They have everything they need.

But I wasn't talking about Hobo camps anyway. Indigenous people all over the world, of which there are likely none left today, did not look at themselves as poor. Everyone had access to the same "riches" that could be easily acquired by any of them if they so desired. I believe Ben Franklin termed it "Few artificial wants".

Maybe you should get out more and talk to people. The "poor" people I know in New Orleans wouldn't trade places with me, I know that. They pity me working five days a week and paying $740/month for health insurance just for starters. Healthcare that is basically paying a "cartel" for access to a doctor whom I am expected to pay for his/her services at that time. So I don't throw the word "poor" around too much.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 08-07-18 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike: