Old 08-09-18, 12:17 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer
Ok, but riding on the sidewalk is inherently dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians. The only drawback of cars going slower is that they're going slower.
Riding in the sidewalk isn't hazardous if the cyclists just slow down and dismount/walk at intersections. The only drawback is that you're just going a bit slower. Expecting all other road users to bow to cyclists so that you can ride as you wish isn't sharing the road, it's being a jerk. There has to be a give and take. Honestly, I feel that this sort of behavior makes all cyclists on the road LESS safe. Obstructing cars will result in pushback outside of a very few locations. I feel this behavior engenders a distaste of ALL cyclists on the part of drivers and leads to drivers feeling that if cyclists aren't willing to respect cars that they aren't willing to respect cyclists either. That leads to close passes and so forth.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
One of the negative (subjective) things about cycling is you have to work harder to get from A to B. The positive thing is you don't have to get stuck in gridlock. People on bicycles pretending to be cars to me are ridiculous. Move up to the front of the intersection, anticipate the light, give a clear indication via body posture as to where you are heading and enjoy the perks. By waiting in line with the cars you are just making the vehicles behind you wait as well and often causing more slow down as you haven't accelerated fast enough to quickly clear the often narrower intersection where cars traveling the opposite direction are probably waiting to turn left while you doddle along.

The high risk zone is the intersection where you face left hooks, T bones and squeezes against the curb by moving vehicles. As a defensive cyclist you should move up and clear that zone intentionally when the light initially turns green where cars have been stationary and had a chance to see your clear indications to move through it. Better than trying to cross mid light cycle when cars are traveling at speed and turning left or right.
Moving up next to cars like that is exactly how you get a left (or right) hook. Drivers aren't expecting you to be there and having all vehicles on the road abide by the same rules is safest. Plus, why force drivers to pass you multiple times on a narrow street that will just cause stress to both parties? At an intersection, I will fully take the lane so that I do not have a car next to me. Traffic isn't moving at full speed off a light so a cyclist isn't an impediment and I move back to the right edge as I cross the intersection.