Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Uhh... Exactly what I said. I move to the front, cross the intersection and stay to the right once traffic starts moving so cars can pass. Works very well!

Absolutely. This talk of being a jerk or obnoxious because of filter up just doesn't jibe with my real life experience wherein the vast majority of drivers don't seem to care what I'm doing or even may appreciate that I am actually working hard to pedal a bike. Way to go old man! I ride assertively but courteously and not aggressively. I mostly get friendly honks and thumbs up and it's very rare to have a negative response from that. I also think motorists appreciate someone who is predictable and telegraphs their intentions well and I think that is projected in confident take control riding habits. Drivers are more apt to give cyclists lee way when they see cyclists also giving leeway - which I do when ever possible.
My experience is a bit different from yours. The few times I have seen people filter, they normally do impact traffic in a negative way. I gave one example earlier in this thread. There are others. My best bicycling bud does it and she does not care that cars will have to work to get around her when she does. I can assure you that much of the motoring public's sentiment doesn't mesh with yours. I am or have been active on a variety of forums. Boating, hunting and motorcycling. When this topic comes up, it stirs rage in in people. I know that motorists typically grossly exaggerate the inconvenience that bicyclists cause, but the perception is there. And it is a perception that is held by many.