Old 08-11-18, 08:57 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since you ride Bromptons/birdies Jim, I guess $1749 for just a wheel, and $3088 for a road bike with the big red motor doesn't seem unrealistic to you. Personally, I think it is overpriced when you can buy a good basic ebike for less than $1500 and $3K gets you into the range of purpose built ebikes with mid drive motors. The Giants, Treks, and Bosch bikes are pretty nice, from what I remember on test rides. I believe their ranges with current batteries and a rider willing to pedal is over 50 miles. It all depends on speed.

I know you don't need much climbing ability in Florida. Twice, I've brought my little electrified kit folders with me to Florida in the winter. They top out at 18 mph and are perfect for your bike paths. The only hills we saw were the big causeway bridges and they handled the slope fine, catching up to roadies at the top. The lanes were too narrow to pass, probably bad etiquette, and I knew we would have just held them up going down.

I'm riding converted bikes myself, but our first ebike was purchased from Crazy Lennys in Madison WI where he had over 300 bikes in inventory. It was a 3 hour drive for us, but worth it. He has a shop in Winter Garden and it could be worth a drive if they have any inventory to test. I also recall passing a Pedego shop strategically located on the Pinella trail somewhere south of Tarpon Springs. Otherwise, I don't really know Florida except that I should spend more money down there so you locals can have low taxes.