View Single Post
Old 08-12-18, 08:16 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I dusted off my 1st edition printing of Richard Talbot’s "Designing and Building your own Frameset" that came out in 1979 to give it a fresh look. On the one hand I am impressed that someone with no prior building experience researching a fairly new American craft could do so well with some (but not all) of the concepts. On the other hand what knowledge is available now leaves it very dated and inadequate by today’s standard. Things like printing off mitering templates where not known back then. The worst problem in the book is its explanation of how to build the rear triangle. There is little hope a rear wheel will center following his methods. Other inadequacies include too much detail on some subjects like the many Harris silver brazing rods when only we need to know which one to choose. And just giving us general outlines but not telling us specifically how to align, braze and file. Of course I am probably harsher than many reviewers because of my background learning from a European master that knew exactly what to do and writing and rewriting my own frame building class manual over time. Years and years of refinement is a huge advantage. For example rookies almost always make the same mistakes and it is very helpful to know what they are and how to avoid them. To his credit Talbot did say it is best to learn from a master how to braze. In the appendix he listed 60 American builders including myself. A few others are still around but some have passed or retired. Ultimately this is a interesting historical document but should not be used as primary source on how to build a frame.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 08-12-18 at 10:43 PM.