View Single Post
Old 08-14-18, 12:17 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
We took a two week trip there a couple years ago. I loved all things Italian and am ready to return. We even rented cars and drove a good bit. It was quite an adventure interpreting road signs......
Reminder about no CO2 cartridges in case you were taking a tube kit.......

Venice-folks seem to either love it or hate it. I really loved it, just so unique. I hear there can be a strong smell in the hotter months so be warned. We visited a glass factory on a nearby Island (took a water taxi to it). Just don't handle the really fragile items like someone in my group did and let it slip through her fingers!! We had a little too much vino one night and took the water bus back to our hotel. It was very late and we missed our stop due to it being dark and the vino. The water bus stopped running where we got off (it was late) and it was an adventure getting back. You can actually walk most of Venice if you have the time and legs.

Florence was really nice-we stayed in the downtown area and were able to walk to the places we wanted to go. I love the food. I saw a number of cyclists, mostly south of Florence.

Their trains across Italy are really good to get around on. People were super friendly and helpful.

I didn't care for Milan......just a huge Metropolitan city....but we probably missed some of the touristy things. Wives did some shopping.

The Tuscany area was really nice and rural---would be some terrific cycling if you enjoyed hills. The Tuscan soup was incredible. All their food just seemed to have fresh ingredients.