Old 08-15-18, 01:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My BP and HR are wacky, all over the place. Probably due to a thyroid condition (biopsy next week to rule out cancer).

Usually my BP is within normal limits for my age. HR tends to run a bit higher than most endurance athletes, usually 70-80.

I've been sick for several days, not even using the indoor trainer. BP yesterday was 145/70, HR 90.

During HIIT sessions my BP will peak around 160/80, HR up to 175. During the cool down and afterward it'll drop as low as 80/50, then stabilize around 120/70 again within an hour. My heart rate can take hours to settle back down from 100 bpm or so.

But it's not unusual for even physically fit people to have BP and HR spikes before and during physically activity. When I was an amateur boxer in my teens and early 20s my BP would often be around 140/90 just before a bout. Once a medic asked me if I was okay. I said "Have you seen my opponent? He's 6 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier. Of course I'm tense." I won that bout. Before his first fight against Sonny Liston to win the heavyweight title, Muhammad Ali (then Cassius Clay) had a BP around 200/100 with HR 120 bpm. At the time Ali said he was just hyped up and excited. Later he admitted he was terrified of Liston and was psyching himself up. As it turned out Ali's style outclassed Liston and their two bouts were fairly easy wins. But the young Clay wouldn't have known that at the time, and his armor had revealed vulnerabilities against Henry Cooper and Doug Jones.

Anyway, not really useful info unless someone happens to have a similar condition. Doc took me off thyroid meds a couple of months ago to re-check my baseline while evaluating the the thyroid, which appears to be mostly non-functional now. I'll be relieved to see it surgically removed and out of my throat because it's constricting my trachea and esophagus.