Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I want to try it! It looks cool!

Originally Posted by SactoDoug
Stopping is easy. Apply brakes and put both feet down. Starting is a little trickier but not hard once learned. My legs are just long enough to touch the ground and hold up the bike when I am at a stop. I am 5'8". Something that I quickly learned and did not know until I started to ride was that with one foot down and reclined, my leg is pushing backwards on the bike and I have to use a brake to stay stationary. That made things a little tricky learning because you want to start out with one foot down. So with the left foot down, push on the pedal with my right foot, let off on the brake and go forward 1 ft then stop. I am ashamed to say that on the first day of trying to ride to work, I was stuck at a traffic light with a slight incline and had to walk through the intersection because I could not get started. I finally got the hang of it when I learned to take my left foot off the ground and just go with it. Now it is second nature.

You are right that there is much less fatigue. I cannot ride my road bike every day because my bottom cannot take it. At best I can ride every other day on my road bike which I did for a number of years. On my recumbent, I ride every single day and when I am done, my legs might be tired but there is no soreness. Bonus, no need for chamois cream.

Here is part of my commute home yesterday so that you can see me starting out at a light and you can see what it looks like riding a high racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNabeenbheg