View Single Post
Old 08-16-18, 05:10 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Since they are expensive, I would use a dedicated 4 speed shifter unless someone here has experience using an early 3 or 4 speed shifter with a later FW hub and found it reliable.
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Either shifter will work. I'd go with the one that matches the period of the frame. The cable is best adjusted by putting the shifter in low, and then setting the cable so the toggle chain is all the way out of the hub but no more. That's all the tension you need! If set that way, all the other gears will be there for you. Its a bit tricky sometimes getting into low until you get the hang of it.

Nervar made a pretty cool crank called the Sport that was a steel cottered crank with alloy chainrings...
Thanks you two!
My inclination was definitely to go with the dedicated 4 speed, both because it is from the same period and would likley be the most compatible and because I would imagine that a shifter built only for 4 speeds is better suited for them.

Those cranks and chainrings do look nice Salubrious but I think I'm sticking with my lambert cranks and my 52 tooth cog. I think I can get it shined up pretty nice.

I've been thinking I should put some oil into the FW before I get it built into the wheel. If its truly never been used, which seems to be the case, I imagine its dry in there. Which may be a blessing since that also means no ancient grease.
Should I just fill it to the brim and let the excess leak for a few days before I get it built into the wheel?
On the note of oil I'm thinking the sports could probably use some too....