View Single Post
Old 08-16-18, 10:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Regarding the power idler, yes it looks small, but OTOH it isn't deflecting the chain much. Actually, the bike would be perfectly rideable without it, although you'd probably want some method to control chain slap. If it were me I'd use a small length of chain tube zip-tied loosely to that idler's mount so that it could move up and down freely.

Regarding starting, you just need a 35-40 inch gear. Nothing too low. You want to get up over 3-4 mph in just a pedal push or two. The trick is to keep the upper body relaxed so that you don't over-compensate in steering it. Flat pedals such as what you have are best for learning. I don't even know if you can find clipless pedals with a 9/16" thread.
9/16" thread with 15mm flats (and/or 8mm allen) are what is standard now and most of my adult life. For clipless and non-clipless. Shimano M520's are $25 pr. I just used one side clipless for many months. I'm not saying the o.p. has to but it did work for me. Flat pedals are great if you have a nice little downslope to do your first stumblings on. As to gear, I just observed that the gear being used was on the high side for beginning. Its up to them ultimately what they use but I found that I fell right over, bam! when starting in the middle ring in any rear cog on level ground.