View Single Post
Old 08-17-18, 09:41 PM
SFC Rod
Hand-cyclist

Bikes: Invacare Top End Force 2 Hand-Cycle, Invacare Top End Eliminator Racing Chair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello

I'm SFC Rodriguez, I started hand cycling in 2015. I was walking across the street to go to the gym on Ft Hood when this ******bag texting and driving hit me with his truck. I suffered a fracture to my tibia right below the knee, a shattered pelvis, several broken ribs, and lacerations to the forehead. I have a flexible bracket holding my pelvis together, I had to have a hip replacement, and two brackets in my knee. I spent 6 months in a wheelchair, two more using a walker, and now have to wear a enormous knee brace in order to walk. I was over 2-1/2 years recovering at the Warrior Transition Unit at Ft Sam Houston, TX and managed to con the Army into keeping me. I teach computers to the new recruits, so I don't exactly have a strenuous job. I began hand-cycling while in the wheelchair because I didn't want to get fat, and now I race and go on challenges with Project Hero. I was a member of Team Army at the 2018 Warrior Games and won Gold in the 7K Bike Race, and Silver in the 7K Time Trial as well as a couple of Bronzes in Wheelchair Track. In a few years I can retire and spend all my days either cycling or at the range.