Bike Forums - View Single Post - Schwinn Varsity Build
View Single Post
Old 08-18-18, 11:08 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Electra Cantilever, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Hybrid Drive concoction

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Broke Joke, I am busy looking at some of other stuff in the picture. The bike looks workable. Evoporust can do a good job on the stem and other parts that may be rusty. I don't know how good the rims are. When you get the bike working again, see if you could replace the rack with a Schwinn rack. They attach to the binder bolt on the seat tube.

For the original poster, I have to agree with what some others have said that it might be better to start with a more complete Varsity or Continental, if that is what you want to ride, or go for a a lighter bike. Schwinn LeTours can often go for little money and most can be made into decent riders.

Of course, there is always the trade-off between how inexpensive the bike is and how much time and effort you have to put into it. To me, it is therapy so, it is preferable to get them cheap and then think about how to go about getting them back on the road.