Old 08-24-18, 01:52 PM
prototoast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just so I am following what you're writing correctly, your would like to 1) learn how to build a frame in the class, 2) build additional frames after having completed the class, 3) avoid spending significant money on tools.

There are a few options that I can see. First, you can check to see if your local area has any membership based workshops - these are places where typically you can pay a monthly fee and have access to a large assortment of tools and work area. There are quite a few near where I live (SF Bay Area), and many have metalworking setups which can get you a lot of the way towards what you need to build a bicycle (you may need to bring some of your own tools to cover what they don't have).

You can also look around to see if there are any builders in your area that have tools you can pay to use. Professionals might be wary of their stuff, since it's tied to their livelihood, but as an hobby builder with a jig in my garage, I'd certainly be willing to rent it out to other hobby builders in the area for a reasonable fee. Ask around locally, and you just might be surprised with what you can come up with.