Old 08-24-18, 04:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rochester, NY has at least two "maker spaces" that are relatively open use "work shops". When I returned to town I looked up the larger one and was disappointed for a few reasons and no longer involve myself with it. First was that their rental agreement/insurance prohibited open flames (sorry you propane/O2 concentrator guys but you're dinged too). Second was that it was much like my youthful experience with the Cub Scouts, the loudest got to play boss for that night. It was obvious that my style didn't fit into their cliqueish manor. Third was that I decided to keep my tooling here at my home where I could use it anytime I wished to.

I have often suggested various alternatives, like art studios, establishing relationships with local builders (I've had a couple "students" in the last few years) and creating one's own shared space/tools. A local welding supplier did offer evening classes in brazing but this stopped soon as the interest didn't reach the critical mass needed. Andy