Old 08-24-18, 05:59 PM
gugie 
Crapmaster Emeritus

Bikes: JP Weigle'd Raleigh Competition reconstruct, 73 Raleigh Competition 650b'ed, 96 Bike Friday NWT, 83 Lotus Classique, 78 Centurion ProTour, 73 Raleigh Grand Sports

Mentioned: 745 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Having taken the UBI course, I can tell you it was one of the best 2 week experiences of my life. YMMV, of course.

I've done as many others have done, and made a second frame for a friend who was foolish kind enough to trust me. It was a great 6 month experience, and I came away with a reasonably decent frame building jig - he bought the jig and his frame materials in exchange for my labor.

I will tell you that you'll never get back the money and time you'll put into a framebulding class + tools if you look at it financially, no matter how much you dive into it. For the time and effort there are so many other more lucrative ways to make a living.

I work at a corporate gig, have been for almost 30 years. I am well paid for my time, and have already made my retirement "nut" although I have at least 5 more years to go until I can retire (two kids to get through college). But it does nothing for my soul.

I do the bike thing as a small side business, using this next 5 years to improve my skills and make connections so I can really get into framebuilding when I have the time. It feeds my soul.