Thread: Rinko!
View Single Post
Old 08-26-18, 10:47 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
When I first read Bicycle Quarterly pimping this approach to traveling with a bicycle, my first thought was it seemed like a solution in search of a problem. Unless, of course, you are in Japan and want to take a fast train away from the city for countryside riding. But what do I need something like this for?

Well, last year's Tour de French Fender Day I boxed and shipped my fendered bike out to NY. The front fender was pretty beat up, it took some massaging to get it in good enough shape to ride. Boxing it up in Boston I thought I'd done a good job of repacking. The rear fender was whacked there as well, and the lower cup on my headset was damaged.

I've determined that cardboard boxes and fendered bikes don't mix well. I posted to the 650b group asking the best way to ship a fendered bike. Mssr. Peter Weigle with this picture:

The back half of the rear fender is designed to come off. Everything fits into a Trico Iron Case. Wheels are stacked on top separated by foam cushions. The case is a clamshell. @ThermionicScott seconded the Trico case, as he'd used one for PBP a few years ago.

First step was to "rinko" the rear fender. Here's the finished product:

Details later.
That whole BQ series with the constructor trials, Peter Weigle, Rinko, Lili Herse was my first subscription. Absolutely fascinating and enlightening stuff, amazing what the collective genius of all this brings together and how long ago these things were done with stunning results. And how much of it is still more than relevant today based on Peter and Jan's success at the trials.

Oh, and they had Merz as well for good measure.