cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by tivoli1
I put the word in search, and it's too broad/subject a word to search. The saddle that comes with the Breezer Liberty (that I just got!!) is really small and hard. I'd love something as comfortable as possible. Not really looking for high tech efficiency, looking for comfort. I ride every day for exercise. Any suggestions?
You say "I ride every day for exercise". How many days do you have on the bike/saddle? If this is your the 1st time in a while that you've been on a bike for some regular riding, my experience is that 3 weeks of 3-4 days/wk of consistent 45 minutes or more, is at least what it takes for the backside to 'adapt' to any bike saddle. The 1st week is usually HELL. Once the soreness is over with, it gets easier to make judgements on 'support', 'leg freedom' and ancillary parts (if you know what I mean...)
Having gone thru that particular hell often, over the years; it was one particularly hard roadblock to overcome back in Summer 04 when I got back on the bike after an almost 8 year layoff.
What we guys find 'comfortable' will be less consistent with what women find works.

Other factor is that the more upright one is the judgement on saddle also differs.
I understand (from some general posts) that there is an invisible 'womens forum' on BF. You might contact Koffee Brown (a moderator on BF) and see if she can hook you up. Would seem that replies there might be more in tune to your needs.

Part of saddle issues is that more padding usually doesn't resolve the comfort issue. In variably the paddin compacts after a few minutes and you're sittin on a hard surface again, but this time with the pressure of the padding around it pushing up on your soft parts. Best always seems to be the right amount of 'flex' in the saddle shell combined with the right saddle shell shape for the behind in question.

I'm currently on the quest for the saddle grail myself, since my saddles are all getting very dogeared and will need replacing. Sadly the ones that work for me are long discontinued, so I 'scrounge' ebay and continue to 'test ride' newer models (with no apparent success yet).

That brings up saddle 'test rides'. Many LBS will allow you to buy a saddle and return it, if it shows no real 'use', and give another a try. A much better option than buying and being stuck with 'not quite right'.

Good luck - let us know what you come up with, that kind of info is always valuable as a start point for another rider, and would be valuable for the BF archives.