View Single Post
Old 08-30-18, 05:46 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
This is in partial response to another recent thread but instead of hijacking it, figured it may be better off as another post.

Granted, the measure taken by the rider in the first video was a bit extreme (honking at everybody who crossed him with a air horn) but a second video showed a gentleman casually singing "Bike lane! You're in the bike lane!" and ringing his bell while weaving through the New Year's crowd. While it was rather tastefully well done on his part I wonder if maybe he would have been just better walking (maybe not, just sayin; I know it can be rather difficult to walk a bike through heavy traffic).

Which got me thinking, is it always the case that cyclists have the right to the bike lane...

I read posts on here all the time about "idiot pedestrians" whether in the bike lane or on the MUP. I get it. I commute on an almost daily basis and have to deal with pedestrians all the time, some of who ARE idiots but that doesn't defeat the fact that I should be yielding to them at all times. It can be annoying, aggravating and, admittedly, overwhelming so that it is ignored at times.

How do you feel about the issue? Is the pedstrian or cyclists that should be yielding in the bike lane? MUPs? Is it the responsibility of the faster to yield to the slower or vice versa?
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
In a word: no.

As you point out, the laws basically (generally) clearly state that slower-moving, more at-risk occupants of a lane must be yielded to. No matter whether some other law or ordinance stipulates that such people should find another means of getting from point A to B. (As with signage on highways stating 'mopeds, skateboards, pedestrians, etc' are not allowed on the highway.)

Same on the "high seas" as well. Slower-moving boats are not expected to magically jet aside in order to make way for faster, overtaking craft.

IMO, it's simply bad form to forcibly eject people out of a path for their daring to be an occupant of that path. Ask, sure, via bells or horns or vocals. But nowhere near to the degree Mr. Horn (from the other thread) did. In short, just as there's no absolute right to a lane, there's also no right to effectively assault others along the way ... no matter what one [thinks] of their occupancy of the lane.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
…A driver/rider is supposed to yield in that it is Not permissible to ram a pedestrians…Even if the pedestrian is breaking the law….

but as with cars and walkers, the fact that you cannot ram them does not equate to them having a Right to be there.
Originally Posted by practical
I appreciated the comment that the legal requirements may vary. But what is the safe and courteous thing to do?

1. Always put safety first, regardless of who is "right" or "wrong."

2. Always act with courtesy even with others do not.

3. Always be an ambassador for a friendly and safe bike environment and culture - treat everyone as a potential ally.
Without responding to video itself my policy on MUPs, even if called Bikepaths is
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My own thought is that a MUP [even if called a bikepath] is not so much a commuter route, or training venue, but a pastoral park, where people can enjoy themselves without too many worries, and needn’t be always vigilant, as is a cyclist on the Road

My own Golden Rule of Cycling is Do unto the Pedestrians, as you would have the Cagers do unto you.