Old 08-30-18, 07:18 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Something with watts tells me more than average speed. 200 watts and up is still not something I would see a typical 50 year old and up person maintaining for a long period. Tour riders stay around 200-300 watts on a long tour stage. And some of the figures in here doesn't make much sense. I have found in most forums in regards to average speed everything is exaggerated and I usually just sit back and chuckle and don't say anything. The OP says he doesn't even have a computer let alone power meter so that would make sense. Strava link don't work you need an account I guess. I don't use Strava.

Any ways aside from the numbers being thrown around here that I find suspiciously pro, I like the OP's attitude. I just feel the numbers here are slightly(well largely) inflated like most average speed threads...that's all I'm saying.
It doesn't seem as if you have a very good understanding of power and speed, nor of peloton dynamics and the corresponding power necessary to get pulled along at 30 mph in a huge group. And saying tour riders average 200-300 watts on a stage is a massively gross misrepresentation of what it takes to ride in a professional peloton. I've done 300 watts for 3 hours solo, but I'd get dropped in a pro stage race as soon as it got even a little hard (and hard in a pro race is so unlike any other type of hard it can't even be expressed).