View Single Post
Old 09-10-18, 08:28 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
hwy 39 is harder and more vertical but a bomb descent. gmr/grr is more scenic and easier but still challenging and also a fun (mostly) descent.
hwy 39 does have some bragging rights:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1638547

if you end up continuing past the turnoff for crystal lake, the views get correspondingly epic and the traffic is nonexistent since the road is closed for approx 5 miles
to the junction w/hwy 2. there will be rockfall on this 5 mile stretch so be super careful on the descent. there may or may not be caltrans snow/rockplow trucks working the road
but they've never paid me any mind as i cycled past. the air starts getting thin once past crystal lake all the way to dawson saddle. if you're super hot on the ascent, there are two good places to
cool down. there is a stream on your right about a mile past the junction w/the east fork/grr bridge. simple matter to clamber about 25 feet down and wet and undershirt, jersey and bandana/cap if necessary.
farther up the 39, there is a good sized trickling spring on the downhill side of the road about 1.5-2 miles below crystal lake turnoff where you can cool down as well.

blow off mt. baldy rd unless it’s continuing from gmr/grr to mt. baldy village and then up to the road’s end at the ski lifts or to descend quickly.

if you end up doing either hwy 39 or gmr/grr, I would return same way. views are epic and it’s amazing how different both look on the way down. i prefer riding loops vs out and backs but not in these cases. the foothill riding is okay but not epic like either of these two roads.

if i hadda pick one? gmr/grr to the ski lifts and back. in either case, hydrate up and take two full water bottles. there is a water spigot outside the post office in mt. baldy village and stuff available at crystal lake store (if open) but otherwise, it's slim pickins. i recommend an early (<8am) for either as it can get downright toasty. make sure your brakes are in good working order and you're packing a few tubes and the means to inflate them. the cell phone service on either route is almost nonexistent.

regarding transportation to/from dtown la to either hwy 39 or gmr/grr, i believe the "gold line" light rail heads from union station in dtown la to the azusa station. about a 40 min rail ride. the station is approx
2 miles from the base of the hwy 39 climb and about 5 miles from the base of gmr/grr climb.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-10-18 at 10:03 PM.