Old 09-13-18, 09:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I have almost exactly that bike (a Sportif 1.0 LE in my case) and I love it.

it is Not a "light" bike... it is not a heavy bike either. With stock wheels and tires it always felt a little sluggish, too ,,, but very comfortable. I am about as fast on my Sportif as on my much lighter racy CF bike.

The slight added weight over my light CF bikes is well offset by the 11-32 gearing.

The big difference is that the CF fork and 28-mm tires are great at isolating road shock, but weigh hugely less than the suspension fork on your Crosstrail (which is by no means a bad bike.)

I have my Sportif set up with the handlebars a little high, but i could easily drop them two inches and still be comfortable. Even with the set-up i have now, i lean at about 45 degrees .... and about half the wind misses me. You Will notice that difference at 15 mph, i think. if you ride faster, you can go to the drops and really feel it.

Also ... i threw a rack on mine and I use it for everything---light touring, hauling tools, getting groceries, rain rides, and even just when I feel like a bit of variety. I have found ti to be tremendously comfortable and reliable---whenever I pull it off the rack and swing a leg over it, i am glad to be riding it.

I found it to be excellent value for the money ... and as time goes on you can throw a better group set on the same frame and have a better bike for less.

Caveat: I have no idea if this bike will satisfy you. You might buy it and wish you hadn't. You might buy it and wish you had spent more and gotten a really light, really racy bike. You might not find it offers enough of a difference over your regular ride. You might love it. Noway to tell.

Test ride some bikes if you like, if you can, and see if a lighter road-oriented bike is what you are looking for.

I can attest tot eh value of Performance Bikes, as an outlet, and Fujis as bikes generally, and the Sportif in particular. if you can wait for a double or triple-points weekend you can get a really good bike for not very much money.