Old 09-13-18, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
40mm 650b tubes are almost impossible to successfully mount in a 23mm tire unless you've practiced it before.

The offer to sell the patch kit strikes me as odd. I would have looked at you askance as well, and then tried to end the interaction as quickly as possible. Otherwise it seems like you weren't really interested in helping much at all and just were there to see his comeuppance for the perceived slight of ignoring your warning. When I'm riding along it often takes me a second to register what a pedestrian is saying to me. By the time I interpreted your warning I would have been well down the path, no malice intended on my part.

Why'd you even bother stopping?

Now, hold on--he let the guy use his pump, and didn't know he didn't have a tube before he stopped.
$5 for the patch kit seems a little odd, but not crazy. If I'm worried about weather, I'm not sure I'd want to stay around while he worked a patch.

On the other hand, if he sells him the patch kit then leaves, how's the guy going to pump up his patched tube? Hmmmmm.... Maybe you have a point.