Old 09-13-18, 01:40 PM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Sure ... but have you ever given away your pump?

In a situation where i could not stop and help the guy fix his tubes ... i don't know how much of my stuff I would give away. I would give him a tube ... . but in this case the tube wouldn't have fit. No Way I would give away both my tubes, if they did fit .... I am not risking walking because some other person didn't use common sense and carry supplies. Not sure I would have given away a patch kit ... but then, i buy glue and patches in bulk and carry glueless of emergencies. As I said, I could have left some glueless patches easily ... if had had some. I don't always.

I realize you misread, @Kedosto .... the OP Did try to help, but he felt that the other rider had a bad attitude .... but why would the OP give away a $4 patch kit to some guy who wasn't smart enough to carry t a tube or two ... and why did the guy have CO2 but no tube? Was the guy running tubeless---I hope so. In which case ... didn't anyone tell him to carry spare tubes just in case?

The idea of selling a patch kit is a little odd .... but having a patch kit would only work if the guy had tubes. if he did .... see. to me the whole thing is absurd. Why pump CO2 into an obviously ripped tire if you are running tubeless? And why not be prepared? And if running with tubes Seriously, Why pump CO2 into a deflated tube? They don't magically seal. (Well, maybe he had slime tubes, i guess .... ) In any case .... If a person goes riding and isn't self-sufficient ... they become pedestrians. if they are smart, it only happens once.
Hey! Leave me outta this! (It wasn't me.)

But, now that I'm in it...
I have offered to assist more times than I can count. Most times it's a shout out -- "Hey, you all good?" Most times the answer is "I'm good!" If I do actually circle around and unclip, my attention is immediately focused on whether or not the rider has their act together. Do they have a tube? Patch kit? Pump? Chain tool? (whatever the situation requires) I'm not AAA. I'm not a source of free supplies. I represent an offer of assistance, NOT a promise of resolution. I'll offer a patch and glue from my kit (but not the kit). Maybe the use of my pump (if they know what they're doing). A CO2 cartridge (only if they've spent their own first, and I handle my own cart to be sure it's not wasted). It may sound harsh, but I'm very happy to assist those who've done their best to be prepared and solve the problem on their own. I'm not interested in being an idiot's guardian angel.

If I seriously suspected he heard me clearly when he blew past, I'm not sure I would have stopped to offer anything later. I leave open the possibility he may not have heard/understood, but I wasn't there.

-Kedosto