Old 09-17-18, 04:55 PM
cgblack

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster Tandem, 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick & Chris View Post
Yes, TRP hydraulic discs front and back. We also have a third brake--a rim brake on the back that the stoker controls. The bike is about 13 year old steel Land Shark. It was custom made for someone else and then hung in their garage for 5 years after 1 30 mile ride. We bought it from them about 8 years ago. It originally had dura ace rim brake in front and small avid disc in the back. We added the rim brake for a little extra braking power for when the disc got hot. About 8 months ago we upgraded to the TRP's. The new brakes along with the new Co-Motion disc brake ready steel fork added some weight (bike wasn't too light anyway--probably now weighs about 39 lbs), but the brakes work very well. And yes, I could tell that the brakes were getting hot a couple of times, but we just stopped for a while to let them cool and enjoyed the view. I think a more courageous and skillful descender than me could have come down the mtn with our brake set up without stopping.
We have the TRP Hy/Rd brakes on the back (we have a co-Motion Roadster) and I just added Shimano Deore XT V brakes to the back as an "emergency" brake. Our total weight is probably pushing 425 lbs, so braking on a big downhill can be exciting. I have it connected to a Tektro cross brake lever on the captain's handlebars, so I can only use one or the other rear brake at a time.

I was wondering, how do you tell if your disc brake is getting too hot? Does it start making noise, or fading away?

Thanks,

Graeme