View Single Post
Old 01-18-06, 11:43 AM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinster
Gone are the times when a single cyclist can dominate entire seasons. The competition and the science of training has come a too far in the past 30 years to allow someone to replicate what Merckx did. In that light, Lance's consecutive TdF wins should be appreciated all the more.

I wish Boonen the best, but it's not possible for him to dominate all races. Even he has to pick and choose.
What makes you think those times ever existed?

No I'm serious. Let's look at the big 9 races. The Three Grand Tours, The 5 Monuments and the Worlds. Many riders have won 2 in a year. (I think one year 3 different riders did that). But how many won 3 or more? How many times has it happened (a different question)?

The answer is only 6 riders. and only for a total of 12 times.

The first was Coppi in 49 winning 4 including a Tour Giro double which was 'impossible' until Fausto did it.

Next was Rik Van Looy in 61. Others were Hinault in 80 and Roche in 87.

The most recent was Boonen in 2005.

Each of these won 3 out of 9, no one has matched Coppi's 4 wins. It was just no longer possible.

Oh wait, except for Eddy who won at LEAST 3 of these 9 for 7 years in a row. Winning as many as 5 in one year.

While there have been changes that make it harder to duplicate Eddy's feats the biggest thing is that there is no Eddy. When Eddy rode it was not possible to dominate like he did, it was not possible to duplicate the feats of Coppi. Things were different. Until Eddy did it any way.

Perhaps Boonen will duplicate 4 of Coppi, perhaps not. But he has shown it is possible. Of course if he does he will surely be saddled with the title of the Next Eddy Merckx.

BTW try to name anyone besides Coppi, Hinault or Merckx who was strong in both tours and classics in the same year, or harder still for an entire career.

There is a reason they are considered great.