Old 09-20-18, 02:24 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Is there a trick to using Presta adapters?

I used my Topek Joe Blow floor pump to inflate both tires (using Scchrader valves) on my bike to 80 psi yesterday without a problem. I used the same pump on the front tire of my girlfriends bike to the same 80 psi using the Presta adapter that was on the bike when she bought it, something I've done before. No real problem there beyond needing to put more air in her tires than mine. When I tried to do the same thing in the back I couldn't get more than 60 psi in with pumping like a madman, easily pumping 2 - 3 times more air than I did for the front tire. When I stopped to rest the pressure dropped to 20 psi. This happened a couple of times until we quickly removed the air hose when we got to 60 psi, and the tire seemed to retain that air after we were finally able to ride instead of pump even more air into the rear tire. I've used these same adapters on the same tires for a couple of years and have never had this much trouble, what was wrong? Neither one of us could hear any air leaking out, and nothing seemed wrong beyond the problems I already mentioned.