View Single Post
Old 09-22-18, 06:39 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Im giving up on flat free tires. The other day I decided that I felt like having a sporty fast ride on a bike that doesn't have tank tread flat resistant tires. Grabbed my 560 with 28mm irc jetty tires, which I like a lot. Six miles out felt the rear go at the same time as a slamming sound. Picked up a big framing nail that went into the tread, out the sidewall, bent around and came back in. Scratched the brake up pretty bad. Booted it and rode home. Put a conti tour ride on as a place holder.
Figured out how much money I've spent on tires that have this happen to them in under 100 miles, and it's like five hundred bucks. Jettys are cheap, but I've lost gp400s, vredstiens(misspelled), and more.
Had good luck with Thickslicks, though they are not that great in the rain. Will order another jetty, cause I like them and their only about twenty bucks, but still getting sick of it. Just wanted to vent about it without starting a new thread.

I went through a period earlier in the year, where I had four bikes with rotating flats, to the extent I was fixing a flat after or during about 90% of my rides. Some days, I would fix 3 flats. It blows worse than you can imagine, and then people start accusing you of being an idiot for getting so many flats, when they live someplace with perfect roads, and not a single goathead within 500 miles.

I keep trying to get people to try the tires in the thread linked below, as everyday commuting type tires, they're super-tough, and are claimed to run for twice as many miles as regular tires before wearing out. For everyday non-racing use, they're unbeatable in my area for resisting flats. Great on dirt and gravel roads, but still fast enough to sprint for lights on in town. YMMV. Admittedly they are heavy. And they're a wire bead, and can be tough to get on and off. Other than those two things I have zero other complaints about them.

Best Anti-Goat Head Tire I Have Found