Old 09-22-18, 04:16 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
OP says he wants a commuter bike, and also the ability to handle 2' drops. That's some commute!

He should be discussing the bike's ability to handle this kind of riding with his frame builder. At any rate, I agree with the various suggestions that he can achieve his objectives at less expense by not going custom. A thought I had is buying a titanium 650 mountain bike from BD and getting a fork from, say, Visago.

But if he wants a custom, that's good too, and you can't really put a value on a custom frame that does exactly what you want it to do. And I speak from complete inexperience, because I've never been able to justify the expense of a custom frame given my average body build.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
its for commuting and you need to jump off 2' cliffs? On a tangent to your original post, we need pics of this commute!

its already been discussed what sort of fork you need. Time to change that geometry to accommodate an mtb fork.

dropper post is a unique request.

please post pics once you have it built! It'll be a very unique bike.

I am a full time commuter. If im leaving my apartment, im taking my bike. With the exception if the occasional bar visit.

I have seen opportunities where if my bike was up to it, i could take either a shorter, or atleast more fun route.

2ft is a conservative tollerance. Realistically i only need about a foot, but if i encounter a 2ft drop, id like the peice of mind the bike can handle it.

I looked at my options from both mtb and gravel. Nothing with rival 22 in Ti or steel fit the bill. So rather than throw money at a bike post purchase to make it what i want, id rather spend that amount on custom.

The Ti fork that i can order shorter seams wil fit the bill instead of the awkward drop bar with mtb fork look.