Old 09-26-18, 04:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Best time for visiting/biking Michigan's LP/UP?
Originally Posted by jpescatore View Post
Next year my wife and I are thinking about a driving vacation (with bikes) to the Michigan LP/UP. She recently retired from teaching, so we are no longer limited to vacations in June/July/August.

What time of year do Michigan cyclists think is the best time to visit and bike?

Living in the Washington DC area
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
Right NOW, and through the next six or so weeks. Temps are moderate/cool, fall colors beginning above M-46 in the next few days.. Latter half of the month down here...
Nice catalog of rides, @JLDickmon. I previously posted a generic description of Michigan cycle touring:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
…FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist. A lot of my early touring was in the Metro Detroit / Ann Arbor area, still rural enough, on summer weekends (back in the 1970's).
To the OP, perhaps you are a “city-slicker” like myself, and enjoy urban cycling, and big-city amenities after a day’s cycling. So FYA, besides the UP and LP, Michigan has a informal third sector, namely Southeastern Michigan, i.e Metro Detroit, to include Ann Arbor and environs to the West, and maybe Port Huron to the North, Monroe to the South, and Ontario Canada to the North and East.

Just this past week I stayed in the picturesque Oakland County suburb of Rochester Hills with an extensive system of Bike trails.
In January of this year was an extensive thread on the Great Lakes Regional Discussion Forum, “Riding through Detroit,” about cycling in the City Proper. For example, this list:
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
I have lived in southeastern Michigan since 1982, 30 years in Ann Arbor, and 5 in Grosse Pointe. I have been sailing with Bayview Yacht Club, at the foot of Conner, since 1987.

Never did I think I would ride a bike or have any interest in downtown Detroit until about 2011. Now I ride through Jefferson Chalmers to Bayview without a thought.

Since living in GP, I have Slow Rolled, visited Belle Isle, River Walk, Comerica Park on opening day, Mexican Town, Midtown, Indian Village, Corktown, Eastern Market, and New Center, via bike.

During daylight hours, I would say there are NO concerns of riding west to east between Mexican Town all the way to Grosse Pointe. I would avoid being on the road before 9:00 am or 4:00-5:30 pm to avoid commuters.

There are a lot of cool Airbnb places to stay... and a meandering ride through the Grosse Pointes…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
I have had seemingly similar living / cycling experiences. For a few years I lived in the Cass Corridor, and cycled down around there. I used to consider the Grosse Pointes as a public cycling park. We go visit Michigan about twice a year, and I bring my bike