Old 09-27-18, 10:39 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 49 Posts
My cleaning routine is:

Hose down with a spray after wet or dirty rides (often, not always, not in winter with the outside water shut off), wipe painted surfaces with a cotton rag once in a while (after a hose down to not scratch the paint) and likewise the metal parts. (The wipes happen more often with my good bikes, rarely with my rain/winter/city bikes - just enough so I can lock them without my hands getting too dirty.) An area that needs work (say the BB) gets cleaned with a rag.

Basically I have no cleaning routine, just as needed or wanted. I find bikes get by quite nicely with very little cleaning. My chains get wipes fairly often with a rag or paper towel (wrapping it around the top section of chain and holding with my left fingers and thumb with my pinkie around the seatstay, turning the crank with my right hand. Fast and easy. Lube if necessary and repeat the wipe. Rims get a wipe once around periodically. Wipes occasionally around the brakes for that black aluminum brake dust.

Doing more than this seems only to decrease my riding time. This amount seems quite sufficient as part of keeping my bikes in good riding shape. (Current bike mileages: 3,099, 11,872, 16,978, 19,193 and 49,224,so this plan seems to work. Granted, the two bikes with the most mileage got repaints so they did get one really good cleaning. )

Edit: when I spray down my bike, I do use high pressure blasts - between the rim and brake pad, making sure I don't get the HS, I ride in Oregon where the lava dust kills rims. 4,000 miles in the winter.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-27-18 at 10:44 AM.